Saturday, May 20, 2006

These Stones are Older Than Dirt!


Of course, I am referring to our visit to Stonehenge...a most amazing sight, indeed! On Thursday, we spent the morning at Salisbury, walking through its amazingly grand cathedral with eyes and cameras at full attention. The town was quaint with a river literally running through it and the ducks and swans were in abundance. Everywhere you look, there are immense lilac and wisteria bushes in full bloom and the mass of purple against the stone and brick is nothing less than stunning! There was an open market in the square selling various wares...everything from brightly-colored flowers & home-made crafts to sausages, cheeses and pastries! A tourist's and homemaker's delight!

From Salisbury, we boarded the coach for the short trip to Stonehenge. The weather at this time was incredibly blustery...the wind nearly blew us over with its power! But, we prevailed and haltingly made our way around this massive display of brute strength and perseverance...this site was ABANDONED over 3500 years ago!! Just think of it! I was overwhelmed with the history of the site and it's still sinking in! I got some great shots of it, but, since I'm using a computer in the library here in Stratford-on-Avon, I can't download any pictures for this post. You will have to come back and visit my blog sometime next week after I've returned home and have had a chance to post some of my favorites!

Yesterday (Friday), we made the journey from Bath to Stratford, and it is truly a lovely place! If you look down the street and squint, you can almost imagine Shakespeare walking among the half-timbered houses, some looking as if they are about to collapse, but have probably looked like that for some 400 years!! There are beautifully sculpted gardens and the River Avon (remember, that's "A'-vun" with the emphasis on the "A") flows gently by, never giving any indication of the history its seen! If only its banks could talk...the stories it could tell!

A number of us are going to attend the cinema (NOT to be confused with THE THEATRE) this afternoon to see "The DaVinci Code"...after which I am certain I will need a bracing cup or POT of tea! Then, several of the students were able to get "standing" tickets to The Swan (THE Shakespearean Theatre here in Stratford) to see a production of "Antony & Cleopatra" featuring Patrick Stewart in the lead role! Needless to say, they are beside themselves with excitement!! We also have theatre tix to "Much Ado About Nothing", "Julius Caesar" and "Romeo & Juliet" for early next week! I will just be able to attend "Much Ado", and then I must depart for London on Tuesday in order to make my flight home on Wednesday afternoon from Heathrow!

Tomorrow, we have a scheduled coach trip to Oxford, and I will try to see some of the sites recommended to me by Kim Gilnett, a dear friend from SPU who has spent many a summer in and around that area, particularly working at the C.S. Lewis House, The Kilns. That will take up most of my Sunday, I imagine. And then, Monday will be my final full day with this group before heading home! They will be having class in the local "scout hut" (how quaint is that? I wonder if Shakespeare ever went camping as a boy scout??) and perhaps we will have dinner together Monday evening as a "farewell" to jolly ole' England for me...the students will be continuing on to London for yet another week of travel & theatre & frivolity!!

4 comments:

Cagle Clan said...

Just stopping by to say Hi!! :) We all miss you, but your travels sound WONDERFUL!! I pray you continue to walk in blessing and favor every where you go. My husband will be SOOOO jealous that you went to Stonehenge...he really wants to go there someday. It just sounds like the most amazing trip altogether ....I'm so happy for you!
However..your husband has been seen wandering the streets crying out your name.....he looks as though he has been wearing the same clothes since you left and hasn't eaten. :) JK!!
But we sure have put him to work since you've been gone! We figured we'd keep him busy with music stuff to help pass the time....isn't that SO thoughtful of us? Yes....totally unselfish, I know. :)

Andrea said...

It sure sounds like you're having the time of your life! See you soon! Love you!

Evey said...

I can't believe your tour of duty in England is almost coming to a close. I am so excited for you that you got to be a part of that. Have safe travels home and I look forward to seeing your pictures!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you'll see this before you board your homeward flight. I'm hoping that we can get together for coffe/mocha at our favorite spot on either Friday or Saturday morning. We have much to catch up on. I've just returned from DC and Bonnie's duaghter's wedding where we connected with P&A. They look terrific and seem to be doing likewise. The whole weekend was wonderful...........weddings are like that!
Anyhow, I'll hope to hear from you regarding the Starbuck"s encounter.