Thursday, May 04, 2006

PROPER ENGLISH GREETINGS!



Posting now from the international city of Cambridge! It is a warm beautiful day and I'm certain we will all enjoy our walking tour (later today) of the historic city center with all its colleges and churches. I am really looking forward to taking plenty of shots of the architecture around here! Yesterday afternoon, we spent a few hours relaxing at a famous outdoor tea garden called The Orchard, just a ways outside of Cambridge in a location called Grantchester. The weather was just lucious with a few high clouds as we enjoyed an early afternoon tea & huge home-baked scones with blackberry jam and, of course, clotted cream! The apple & pear trees are just now blossoming and the lawn chairs reclined to permit napping after partaking of the beloved beverage.

As you can imagine, there are plenty of students meandering around Cambridge, of all nationalities...this equals many, many bicycles as the terrain is relatively flat, compared to Edinburgh! I've seen food offerings from Thailand, Greece & Japan, interspersed with the obiligatory Kentucky Fried and Pizza Hut! And, of course, the Pubs...The White Hart, The Green Man, The Blue Ball (you figure that one out), etc. They all serve excellent food & beverage...or so I'm told ;-)

I'm off to the market now to get some provisions for my apartment. It will be interesting to see what kind of market I happen to walk into! This internet cafe is close by my place and is very inexpensive (1 British pound per hour) so, I hope to be visiting & posting on a regular basis for the remainder of our time here...10 more days. Now I'm off to check the status of the Mariners! Ta!

3 comments:

Linda MacTravel said...

OOCH - sorry I checked! Last time I left the country the M's went on a winning streak! We're all still waiting for that to happen, eh? Go gett'um!!! Oh yes...I've seen plenty of folks out playing "football", "roogby" and even the quintessential game of CRICKET! Love it! To be continued...

Andrea said...

You paint a beautiful picture! Wish we could be there with you! Thanks for keeping us "posted"!

Evey said...

So glad to hear your having such a great time and that you are able to blog. I am so excited to see your Scotland pictures when you get home.

As far as the M's go....Eddie messed it up again big time for us hte other night:( He isn't closing games anymore, they will be doing "closer by comitee."

Look forward to your next update:)