Monday, May 15, 2006

BATH Anyone?


On "Mum's Day", we were travelling by coach from Cambridge to Bath, and I was feeling a little low and I had overheard some of the students saying that they were missing their moms, so I got a wonderful idea: I suggested to them that since I was missing my own kids and grandkids, and they were missing their "mums", that perhaps they could give me a hug in place of their mum. Several of them took me up on it, and we had a hug-fest right then & there! I have a suspicion that they needed to give them just as much as I needed to receive them!! There's just something about contact with another human being...it's not overrated!!

We've been here in the city of Bath now for just over 24 hours, and I can honestly say that it's just a lovely city! Most of the houses and buildings are of the Georgian archictectural style, built from limestone from quarries just outside of Bath. Since I don't know how to attach a link, you can visit the place where I'm staying at www.threeabbeygreen.com

The Roman Baths are just up the street from here and I plan on visiting there tomorrow. Also in the near vicinity is the majestic Bath Abbey which is another absolute "must see"! Then there is the Jane Austen Centre with the Costume Museum just around the corner, as well as Sally Lunn's House, the oldest house in Bath, dating from 1462! I just took afternoon tea there as well as partook of the famous "Sally Lunn Bun", a sweet roll that was originally baked by Sally Lunn...and I had mine topped with lemon curd and clotted cream! Mmmmmmmm - almost like eating lemon meringue pie!!

Thursday, we have a coach trip scheduled to Salisbury and Stonehenge, so that will be a fun trip to report on! I'll attempt to post at least once more before we head to Stratford-upon-Avon on Friday morning! BTW - did you know that there are no less than SEVEN Avon Rivers in England & Scotland? And...the word AVON means RIVER?! That's your history/geography lesson for the day!! Cheers!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

We sure missed you on "mums day"!

Anonymous said...

hey meine-liebe-sista-Freundin !! I spy a HUGE tree right in front of the Three Abbey Green !! So please.... GO HUG IT FOR ME !!! :))))) Soak up all you can while in Bath. ( no pun intended !:))) enjoy the rest of your stay, too !!! luv ya' omame

Evey said...

We Canadians spell it mum as well. My dad still gets on my case if I spell it with an o and he sees it. hehe!

Anonymous said...

Hey, 'Lint ~ Thanks for all the posts... it's been great fun to read about your adventures! Miss you, and look forward to hearing about your trip and seeing all the wonderful pictures you've taken. I'm working in San Diego this week (foggy & low 60's), strange how the the weather is better in Sea/Tac area. Love you lots ~ 'Leen