Saturday, May 06, 2006

Cambridge Rocks


I just have time for a few words about Cambridge...it is so beautiful with all of the historic colleges and churches! It is known as "cycle city" as there are SO many students with bicycles that are in residence during the academic year. On our walking tour of the city on Thursday, besides enduring temps in the low to mid 80s (WOW - totally unseasonable for here), we were treated to an inside glimpse of Emmanuel College, complete with a plaque honoring John Harvard, who attended there and later went on to America and established, yes...what else...Harvard! King's College, Queen's College, Jesus College...surrounded by Jesus Green, Jesus Lane, Jesus Ditch and yes, even Jesus Lane Shopping Forum! There are also huge lawn areas that have been overtaken by people lounging about reading, studying, playing football or cricket...it's truly lovely.

A funny story...we packed up all of the leftover food items that Dr. Reinsma and I had purchased during our stay in Edinburgh to transfer to our apartment here in Cambridge (such a thing as toilet paper is a handy item to have on hand ;-). Anyway, somewhere along the line in our coach transfer, an accident happened...
as I opened the bag to transfer provisions to my new kitchen arrangement, I reached in and felt something sticky...I mean REALLY sticky...and gooey...I pulled out my hand and to my shock, discovered it covered in RASPBERRY PRESERVES!! Yep - a whole jar of raspberry jam had broken wide open in the bag and had covered everything with seedy red gooey glop! So, I had to rinse all the remaining items from the bag and then carefully scoop out the jam from the bag and attempt to wash all the "sticky" off! Yeah...it wasn't very funny at the time, but NOW I can laugh!!

I'm posting from an Eastern Indian-type internet cafe...there are people smoking hooka pipes in the back...hmmm...very interesting. But, the cafe is close by my apartment and convenience is the key!

Again, I thank each and every one of you for your comments to my posts...it really helps motivate me to post on a regular basis, as I look forward to knowing that you have had a minute to read my blog! That's it for now! Cheerio!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, been in any "jams" lately ? :)) At least things were smellin' pretty good ! and I will share your delightlful descriptions of Cambridge with (my) Chris tonight. Her grandmother was from England. She will LOVE it ! ( Seraphim chorus is singing a dinner-theater Broadway tunes concert tonight. WAY too much fun ! ) and don't be smokin' any hookas, girlfriend ! :))) so bitte and love ya' omame

Bryan said...

Cool. You paint a good picture with your descriptions. Wish I were there with you.

Evey said...

You do paint a beautiful picture. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time, I am so glad you got to have this opporunity. Looking forward to your next update.

Andrea said...

Sorry to hear about your "jam"! Ha! But, at least you had a good story to tell, right! Miss you!